Documentation Centre for Property Transfers of the Cultural Assets of WW II Victims, p.b.o. was established on 1 November 2001 on the basis of a decision by the Mixed Working Committee (created by Czech Government Decree no. 773 on 25 November 1998), chaired by the Deputy Prime Minister Pavel RychetskÃ½. The Committee was disbanded on 15 March 2002, and the work begun by its expert team was taken over by the Centre: researching historical and economic issues of the âAryanizationâ of Jewish property (mainly art works), and also expanding on the expert teamâs activities by carrying out heuristic research in Czech and international archives and in the acquisitions records and inventories of individual museums and galleries (made possible by the Centreâs close cooperation with the Czech Ministry of Culture). On 1 November 2006 the Czech Government issued a resolution (no. 1249) extending the Centreâs activities up to the end of 2011.The Centreâs tasks and mission were set out in in section II.3.5 of the Czech Government resolution no. 87 â âA concept for more effective management of the movable cultural heritage in the Czech Republic for the period 2003â2008 (A concept for the development of museums)â, 22 January 2003.
Up to the end of 2011 the Centre formed part of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.
Government resolution no. 683 (14 September 2011) changed the status of the Centre to that of a âpublic benefit organization’; this came into existence on 6 February 2012 under the official title âDocumentation Centre for Property Transfers of Cultural Assets of WW II Victims, p.b.o.â (Centrum pro dokumentaci majetkovÃ½ch pÅevodÅ¯ kulturnÃch statkÅ¯ obÄtÃ II. svÄtovÃ© vÃ¡lky, o.p.s.).